Monday, September 15, 2008

Jack Del Rio is a puss


I caught part of a postgame interview where he insinuated that Jacksonville's loss today depended on some call the referees got wrong. Could someone tell me what he's talking about? Perhaps the pass interference that was called on MARSHAWN LYNCH? No, wait, that worked in the Jags' favor. I'm sure it's hard to go 0-2 when everyone thought you were going to be the Jesus of the NFL this season but I suggest that Del Rio be a man. And find himself a non-heinous pair of sunglasses.

Just to get all my uncharitable feelings out of the way at the outset, the Jacksonville cheerleaders were wearing knee-high black pleather boots in 80-degree weather. They looked a little inappropriate for daytime.

Okay, the game. I thought the score margin was going to be wider, given that Jacksonville presumably had to resort to flagging down any big dudes who walked by the stadium to fill out their O-line, but I'll take it. I loved the Bills' opening drive; again, so different from the offensive stuttering of last season. I gather we have new offensive coordinator "Young" Turk Schonert to thank for this assertive rhythm. I also suspect Dick Jauron started overriding Schonert at some point in the third quarter because the Bills started doing things like calling running plays on 3rd and 25, just the kind of daring playcalling that resulted in all those Bills' offensive shootouts last season. Please, please just run with the slightly riskier offense from early in the game, guys. Trent Edwards is clearly a pathologically careful dude (80% completion rate in this game); I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

I know David Garrard is a gifted athlete but I don't quite understand why he proved such kryptonite for the Buffalo defensive line when he ran with the ball. It would appear that some tackling drills are in order. But I was impressed that the Bills were able to wrench back the momentum in the fourth quarter after the game looked like it was sliding away from them in the third (kudos to the Jaguars for that onside kick; I didn't even understand what had happened for a minute.) I take back all the mean things I've ever said about Trent Edwards; I was a Losman backer last season but I can admit when I've been wrong. I also think it's charming how Edwards is apparently always stoned in the Bills media roundup clips they put up on the official website. Also, little Freddy Jackson can ball, huh?

Finally, I would just like to register my continued irritation with the way the national sports media, at least the tv section of it, has been talking up the AFC east. I watched that New England/Jets game today, and I don't care how omg dreamy Brett Favre is, or how childlike his love of the game, or how long and hard he whores for the media, the Bills are better than that goddamn team. The Bills are certainly better than the Dolphins. (This is shaping up to be the section of my weekly recap where I say the exact same things about the AFC East over and over.) We're not better than the Patriots, as far as I can tell, but the better team doesn't always win. I'm looking forward to that season ender against the Pats.

3 comments:

nnajar said...

OK, but can we talk about a game today where the loss DID depend on a blown call? SD vs Denver? IT WAS A FUMBLE! So irritating.

Anyways, let's go, BUFFALO!

(´・ω・) said...

i'm so in love w/the Bills rn!!! i see no reason why they can't beat the pats imo.

re: funtime favre - for as much ~*~*~FUN~*~*~ as he haves, i have never once watched his celebrations and seen them as anything but joyless exercises. but when rodgers got his first TD at lambeau last week and did the lambeau leap, i was pretty much grinning the whole time~

L.N. said...

i know; chief among the many indignities aaron rodgers must suffer is the fact that whenever he, i don't know, dares to throw a deep pass, everyone's all tm favre!!!

i thought the Pats looked really good defensively today and i don't know, i feel like Belicheck coaches circles around Jauron but i am kind of superstitious about him, i guess. i am glad you are enjoying the Bills, Ade; they are playing their asses off except when it comes to tackling David Garrard!

Nida, I take your point, but Norv Turner kind of sounded like a puss complaining about it.