Sunday, October 10, 2010

Strange, But Good




The last time the Lions thoroughly eviscerated a team was in 2007 when they slaughtered the Broncos 44-6 and Shaun Rogers famously waddled down the field, probably envisioning an end zone filled with strippers and hot wings. That was three years ago, and to be honest, it feels like it was even longer ago than that, like something out of another lifetime.

Happiness. It is such a foreign emotion to Lions fan. I think I'm happy, but I don't really know. I seem to have all the symptoms, all those things that I observe in regular people. I've smiled, my eyes crinkle around the corners with what I assume is joy, and people are saying nice things to me about my team. I recognize all this, much in the way that a zookeeper recognizes the mating habbits of a horny orangutan. I've seen it before but now that it's happening to me it's a little disorienting and I'll admit, a little frightening. There's less poop involved than I thought so that's good. More senseless jacking off though.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to say. This is new for me here. The Lions have only won twice in the entire time that I've been writing about them here at Armchair Linebacker. One of those times was against the Redskins and it was the first win following 0-16. It involved an overwhelming sense of relief and I was thankful that we were able to finally shovel the first bit of dirt on the obscene past. The other win was against the Browns, and it came on a heart attack inducing final mad scramble that saw Matthew Stafford's shoulder get eaten by wolves and the birth of a hero when he staggered back onto the field to throw the final touchdown pass. That game was about the future, about the promise of tomorrow. Neither win was about today. One was about cleansing ourselves of the horrible past and the other was about looking ahead to a future full of Matthew Stafford touchdown passes.

But this win against the Rams didn't feel like it was about the past or the future. It was about today. It was about going out and beating the hell out of another team not because it presaged some grand renaissance within the next couple of years and not because it was necessary to clear the awful taste of the past out of our mouths, but because there was a game that was there to win and that's what real, live teams do: they win games just to win them. There is no deeper meaning to it, no weight of history, no yearning for the future, just winning for winning's sake, because it feels good to beat the piss out of another team and it feels good right now.

I'm not thinking about what this game means for tomorrow or how it helps to distance ourselves from yesterday. I'm just smiling and thinking about Ndamukong Suh rumbling down the field after picking off a pass or about Alphonso Smith doing The Carlton in the endzone after his pick six. I'm thinking about Shaun Hill spreading the ball around and kicking ass and Calvin Johnson wreaking havoc, catching touchdowns and drawing pass interference calls. I'm thinking about how good things happen when you throw Calvin the ball and about the defense playing with swagger and about Nate Burleson punting the ball after a touchdown and about Jim Schwartz smiling and laughing about it afterward because none of it matters tomorrow and fuck yesterday. Today is all about beating another man's ass because you can.

There is a wild sense of freedom in that kind of carefree joy. Everything starts to feel vaguely surreal and fun and stupid and good and beautiful. Ndamukong Suh waddling down the field and then cradling the ball afterwards like it was his baby made me laugh. So did Alphonso Smith doing The Carlton. Everything is easy and relaxed and the past is just a shitty memory and it doesn't have to mean anything if you don't want it to. The Rams were beaten and dejected but we were all laughing because Cliff Avril looked like an idiot because he couldn't walk thanks to cramps, and all his teammates and the trainers gave him shit when he had to be carted off and it was all fun and games because, fuck it, 44-6 changes a lot of emotions.

After the game, Kid Rock showed up in the locker room and was given a game ball. Again, why not? Who cares? Give one to Kwame Kilpatrick too. I don't give a shit. There was no raucous celebration, no almost embarrassing Pomp and Circumstance over a simple win. There was just a relaxed sort of care free joy, like hey, this was a lot of fun and we should do it more often.

The Rams are not a good team, but so what? You're supposed to beat teams like that and that's what the Lions did. And that, more than anything is the point here. Today, the Lions were a football team. They weren't a national joke, they weren't a sob story, they weren't a redemptive fantasy. They were just a football team.

Like I said, the last time the Lions won a game like this was 2007. They won it 44-6 and Shaun Rogers waddled down the field to glory. Today, the Lions beat the Rams 44-6 and Ndamukong Suh waddled down the field to glory. Everything in between is just so much dumb noise. Fate can be funny and quirky sometimes and maybe there is something to the odd symmetry of those two games but probably not. The truth is, is that it was just a game and games can be fun.

I'm not even sure what I'm babbling about anymore. My senses have been overloaded and there are about a million different things I want to say. I guess that's happiness and really, for the first time since I started writing about the Lions for Armchair Linebacker - and remember, I've been doing this for three seasons now - I can say that I'm happy as a fan because of what happened today. Not about what it means because of yesterday or about what it says about tomorrow, but simply because of today. I enjoyed myself as a fan and it's about damn time.

My head is in a strange place - strange but good - and Ford Field was a strange place today, filled with players dancing and acting the fool, with Kid Rock wandering around for no discernible reason, with pride and joy and the sense that nothing else matters but what's happening in the moment and what was happening was good. Strange, but good.

12 comments:

Raven Mack said...

congrats bro, I kept seeing the score and thinking "oh fuck". honestly, sam bradford looks like he's 14 and his name is just biting off of matt stafford anyways, so it made sense he should lose today.

Neil said...

Thanks, my dude.

UpHere said...

I saw six month old kid in a stroller at Ikea yesterday, waving a toilet brush around like a sceptre and giggling madly. Kinda where I'm at.

JP said...

Wow.

I need to calm down. I just wrote a scathing article, which no doubt would have led to my banning from all internet related activities for the remainder of my natural life.

And I had no idea I had so much pent up rage. So much anger towards the pregame shows for giving us no love, for basically giving the Lions, and by extension, Lions fans a giant fuck you by one of two methods that they have perfected over the past decade. Either completely ignoring this team, or by using snide little "fuck you" comments.

In my head I can rationalize. "hey, it's just one win", or "jeezus, it was just the rams for gods sakes". But I don't want to. I want to shake my dick in everyone's face in some wierd gloating ritual like I'm William fucking Wallace.

Anyhow, it wasn't pretty, and while I know it goes against your principals for writing, lets just say that it's probably best for everyone involved that I didn't post it.

Well, I think I'm going to go bask in the afterglow, then jerk off in my front yard and throw poo at passing cars

Neil said...

The last two comments are both beautiful, beautiful things.

Kids waving toilet brushes around in mad joy, William Wallace whipping it out, JP going zoo animal in his front yard. It's a Lions Vic-to-reeee!

CJ said...

The return by Stefan Logan? Wha? Interceptions...three different receivers getting TD's...long fgs...defense and offense and special teams, oh my.

Are we awake?

You once again do such a beautiful job of summing up the mental state of the Lions fan--it's like happiness, but also something completely new. I've never felt like this that I can recall after a Lions' game (certainly not the 2007 Bronco's game,which iirc felt at the time like forcing another Mayan calendar recalculation of the time to the one true rebuilding due to Marinelli being an obvious false prophet (do I even make sense anymore?)). Today's feeling is weird...it feels like something only Germans would have a word for.

Great post and I look forward to every word you write on this game especially because it fits no narrative known to me as a Lions fan. We beat a team we were supposed to beat, without last minute failures or heroics, with no huge storm clouds or solely due to the hands of an unexpected savior. It was very 'un-Lions' in my experience as a fan. Maybe you're right, maybe it just felt so un-Lions because it actually felt like a football team.

Awesome post, and I hope you're still enjoying the victory.

Neil said...

Thank you, CJ and yes, you do make sense, and . . .

"Today's feeling is weird...it feels like something only Germans would have a word for."

. . . I love this.

Neil said...

According to a story I just read, the actual score of that Lions game against the Broncos was 44-7, which kinda fucks up my post a little bit, but what the hell, let's all just pretend that I was right all along.

If we all believe, then we have the power to change the past. Either that or someone get me a goddamn DeLorean so I can go back in time and find a way to block that extra point that made it 7 instead of 6. I will not have that son of a bitch History call me a liar. Not again. I forgave him once, but there are limits, you know?

Whiouxsie said...

I kept seeing the Lions score pop up on the FOX box earlier today, and each time the margin got bigger, I thought to myself "wow, what's Neil going to do with an ass kicking like this?" Because there's barely a precedent for how to handle a win, let alone a domination.

Neil said...

Yeah, it's all uncharted territory.

New material~!

UpHere said...

Yeah, you suck CJ. I really, really wish I had come up with something half as good as the German thingie.

And for the record, I do feel a bit of Shadenfreude for my friends in Ramland. You guys had a Super Bowl win in my lifetime, so this week you can gfy.

CJ said...

Oh yeah, right, UpHere. I think we all know that an image of a toddler waving a toilet brush (at IKEA! That just makes it all the more perfect) trumps some pretentious crap about German linguistics. Plus, I can see yours as a poster hanging on the dorm room walls of 'edgy' college girls across the land. What could be more Lions?

The Lions won yesterday! I saw someone refer to the Lions running up the score as 'classless bullying'. This is indeed a very strange day.