Friday, November 28, 2008

Let us now give thanks


You know, things could be worse. Not much worse, I guess. But hey, at least we have three in the W column now, two of which are against probable playoff teams. After watching the Hell that poor, dear Neil goes through each week and the absolute pathetic display of bandwagon ditching that Dart Adams is pulling right now, I really have no reason to complain. Yes, my team sucks, but there are others who suck worse and you sure as shit won't see me turning my nose up at a potential playoff team rallying around an unknown backup QB simply because WE'RE ALL ABOUT THE RINGS or some other nonsensical bullshit that front running dick riders like to sell themselves on to cover up the fact that they suck as sports fans. But I digress...

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving here in the U.S. and after watching the Lions get their shit pushed in on national TV I came to the conclusion that I have so much to be thankful for. Here are but a few of the countless blessings I have as a Raiders fan...

- I am thankful for Johnnie Lee Higgins. After being a horrid pile of shit his rookie year he is coming on strong and is the only real, legit playmaker this team has, scoring punt return TDs in back to back games. I can't remember the last time the Raiders return team had be on the edge of my seat. Of course, being that they are the Raiders, they seemingly can't find a way to get the ball into his hands on offense. That would make too much sense. His touchdown against Buffalo showed that he can make the big play, and the only thing Jamarcus really has shown that he is capable of doing consistently is throwing the ball really far. Seems like it could work. Oh well.

- I am thankful that Jamarcus Russell has shown some glimpses of being a decent NFL QB and that the dog shit O-line hasn't gotten him killed yet. It is way too early to start calling him a bust, but after watching Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco (two guys with even less experience than Jamarcus) lead their teams to winning records it does get easy to get a little antsy. Don't get me wrong, there have been times where Jamarcus has been beyond bad. Like Danny Wuerfful-level bad. He makes terrible decisions and overthrows too many wide open receivers. Yet there have been a few times where he'll make a play and I can start to see why they drafted him. Who knows? Add a couple decent WRs and he might make some noise next year.

- I am thankful for Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard. I am lucky enough to get to watch two of the best linebackers in the league each week. I know Howard's numbers are down this year, but that sort of happens when you get 6 picks in a season. He is an absolute freak of nature and is starting to come into his own. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Kirk Morrison is the heart and soul of this defense. Granted, this defense sucks ass, but without Kirk they would be even worse. It's nice knowing that regardless of whether or not the rest of the team gives up, I can always count on these two to go out there and play their asses off.

- I am thankful for Nmandi Asomugha. Shutdown corners are few and far between and Al Davis better get off his fucking wallet this off season and lock Nmandi up long term. We're going to just pretend the whole Deangelo Hall thingie never happened. That money should have gone to Nmandi.

- I am thankful that Tom Cable will likely be back coaching the O-line next year, where he belongs.

- I am thankful that Jim Fassel has shown interest in the Raiders head coaching gig. Why would I be thankful for this? Because it means that an ACTUAL NFL head coach with ACTUAL head coaching experience who has achieved a small amount of ACTUAL success is interested in the worst head coaching job in professional sports. Fassel may not be the second coming of Lombardi, but he's probably the only ACTUAL head coach with low enough self esteem to work for Al Davis. Beggars can't be choosers, yo.

So yeah, that sums it up. Shit may look bad, but it can always be worse.

1 comment:

p.b. said...

First off, the Raiders are the best team in the bay area. That might seem like a backhanded compliment but rooting for the Raiders seem a lot more worthwhile than rooting for the Niners as of now.

Russell is a real quarterback and if the Raiders drafted any position outside of RB I think they'd have a couple more wins.

Secondly this is to Neil in that although Lions fans are on suicide watch I think you should be proud of your fans at Ford Field Thxgiving. The fans cheered at a 1st quarter Calvin Johnson reception which means they are still hopeful beyond all odds. Some Niner and I know some Pat fans should take notice on how to root for shitty teams.

And for dart adams retiring because it's all about the rings go fuck yourself dude I hope the Pats go all the way to the AFC championship game just so I can see your reaction and go YOURFACE bitch.