Monday, October 27, 2008

A New Hope

After last weeks let down against a beatable Redskins team I began my withdrawl from reality. I went to the the library and checked out two books about teams that existed before I was born- "The Best Game Ever" about the 1958 NFL title game between the Colts and the Giants and "1964" which told the story of Cleveland's last ever sports championship. I can recommend these books to others like me, the people who live in the past. Not even their own past but someones else's. Their are no championships in my history, only wings made of chicken and disappointments made of Franks hot sauce with a side of celery and self-loathing. The utter crushing realization that the Browns had dug themselves into a hole so deep that they were out of the playoff picture had reduced me to a Cleveland Howard Hughes. I stayed in the shadows, a freak hunted by winning franchises. In my fever bed Jim Brown paid me visit and as I dialed 911 to have him arrested for breaking and entering he told me to never give up, that no matter what happened a chicken wing always had a bit of meat on it. "Keep gnawing" he said as he was led away in handcuffs. And gnaw I did.
I don't know exactly how the Browns won last Sunday as I'm pretty sure the Jaguars scored more points than Cleveland but these details are meaningless. What matters is that the orange and brown are back in the playoff picture with 4 out of the next 5 games at home with no sign of Butch Davis on the sidelines.

No comments: