Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shaun Alexander?

Okay, I haven't written much lately because the Skins were doing good and I didn't want to jinx it. But I knew they would never go 7-1, figuring they were good for a loss, because this team is not used to that role of overdog. I didn't figure it to happen so quickly though. But whatever. That loss didn't bother me too badly because they played good and it was kinda freaky how it went down. What bothered me this week was the Seahawks resurrection in D.C., with former Seahooha RB Shaun Alexander, former Seahooha P Somethingorother Plackenmeier, plus some other S dude, all getting signed up this week. The rookie punter had to go because he was sucking, and hopefully nobody picks him up on waivers, so the Skins can pull a sneaky Jap move and put him on IR since he was waived-injured, and he can have another shot at it next year, training all season long for that second opportunity. But I'm not really down with Shaun Alexander, and not because I think he's some sort of threat to the status quo. Basically, even when Alexander was considered good, he always came across to me as a fucking pussy. And that ended up being his reputation - as soft, and in all likelihood waving a rainbow flag in private. Just saying, that's all. This bothers me not because I'm homophobic but because it follows previous high profile brought-in dude Jason Taylor, who has similar appearances, at least to me.
I am still wavering on this year. I was all into the Zen of Zorn a couple weeks ago, him being the Phil Jackson of the NFL, with his wacky anime hair and offbeat born-again training methods. But I also fear the behind-the-scenes, where Vinny Cerratto and his amazing General Managership of High Profile Mediocrity lurks. Basically, the highlights of this team are all brought in under Joe Gibbs' watch, and ol' Joe was out of touch and couldn't squeeze the most out of them, unless you know, Sean Taylor got killed. But perhaps Zorn is doing things to get the most out of them.
But how long will a good roster last under Cerratto? He picked three receivers in the second round this year, none of which has done shit. Only one (Devin Thomas) has actually played any notable time, costing Santana Moss his lone reception in the Eagles game with a holding penalty. They are acting like Malcolm Kelly is some next level Devin Hester type bullshit, but he's getting his knee drained like twice a week, which is not a good sign for a rookie. That's activities of a 35-year-old O-lineman, not a promising young breakneck speedy WR. And Fred Davis, the ballyhooed TE from USC? I haven't heard shit about him, maybe he's still oversleeping.
I don't know, things might go well. But these pick-ups this week seemed so lazy and obvious. That worries me. I would like to see this team start drafting motherfuckers that perform (I don't think we've drafted a notable offensive or defensive lineman in at least the past half a decade).
I don't know man, I can't really talk shit. We're 4-2, which is about 4 games better than I thought they'd be after that opening game at the Giants. They've been playing some smashmouth football, and Jason Campbell has looked smarter than a motherfucker under center... like goofy hopes of pre-eminent franchise QB type smart, which they haven't really had since... fuck, probably Joe Theismann. Even Doug Williams and Mark Rypien just kinda showed up for a little while then went their separate ways after winning Super Bowls with the Skins.
It just sucks this Shaun Alexander thing. Luckily the only players I really don't like as much as Jason Taylor and Shaun Alexander are all lumped together in the Cowboys now (T.O., Zach Thomas), although I guess the Skins could make a play for Brian Urlacher or Tedy Bruschi and really bum me the fuck out. Still, the O-line is looking tough, and Clinton Portis is being all-man this year thus far. I'm pretty happy to be a fan of a team where an all-time character like him isn't even the greatest character at his position all-time for this team (John Riggins). If nothing else comes from this season than a series of interviews of Portis conducted by Riggins that escalate into nonsense stories trying to one-up each other, then it will be as good as a Lombardi Trophy, so long as somebody sends me a link to an mp3 of said interview.
WORK YOUR WACKY ZEN JIM ZORN! BRAISE THE BROWNS!

No comments: