Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fate Is Just A Word




I don't know what to feel.

I just stared at that first sentence for five minutes and wondered where to go with it and honestly, I'm still at a loss. How many different ways can The Fates toy with us? How many different and fucked up and awful ways for us to lose can they think up?

I'm struggling here. When I think about the game today, my brow furrows and my mouth hangs open, stupid and vaguely primitive. I look like a damn fool, but that's okay because I feel like one too.

Am I supposed to be happy? Certainly, there was something different about that game, something that for the first time this season felt like real, definable progress. And yet, somehow, that made the end that much worse. It made the pain that much more unbearable because yet again, fool that I am, I found myself opening up to possibility. I smiled at Hope even though he beat my ass, tied me to the bedposts, naked and gibbering, while he rummaged through my drawers and closets, robbed me blind and then took a shit on my living room floor the last time I let him in the house.

It's okay, Baby, I know that you love me. It's my fault. I'll be better this time, I promise. And then Hope took me in his arms, looked me lovingly in the eyes, kissed me deeply and my heart soared. He then told me to lay back and I smiled and listened and felt content . . . and then he tied me to the bedposts, naked and gibbering, he rummaged through my drawers and closets, robbed me blind and took a shit on the living room floor. Hope, you vicious asshole!

I'm still not sure what to say. I'm still trying to process the extreme schizophrenia that was that game against the Packers. It all started simply enough, with the Packers firebombing the Lions like they were the Dresden Lions and all was orderly and sad and pathetic, but hell, at least it was what we knew would happen, right? But then the Lions fought back. They marched themselves down the field and I began to wonder if you can fight fate after all. Then Jahvid Best fell down and the Packers intercepted the ball and it turns out that no, you cannot.

But there is an honor, a nobility, in the fight itself. Even if you know that you're doomed. Even if you know that at the end you will just be laying on your back, spitting out blood bubbles and saddling up the ol' spirit horse, you can at least go down fighting. And that's how I felt. I didn't have hope. Not really. I didn't believe, because the world hates me and I don't get what I want. But I still was proud of the fight, proud that we actually drew our guns and fired back instead of hiding in the horse trough only to be found and drowned in a pool of our own piss once the fight was finished.

It seemed honorable, to accept death but fight it anyway. There was a certain sort of freedom in it all, like the end result didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was that we would die with our guns in our hands and a million bullets in our bodies and they'd have to have a closed casket ceremony for us because we were utterly ruined and Goddammit, they would say, those boys took that shit to the end.

So there was pride, and somehow, even though we were just standing in the streets, exposed and dead already, we were still standing. And that's when it hit me: holy shit, we might actually do this.

And then pride went out the window and I screamed at the sun "I want to live!" But the sun is just a big ball of gas and doesn't give a shit what I want.

Four times the Lions settled for field goals in the second half. They only needed one more. If they were five yards closer on their final drive, they could have attempted a field goal that would have given them a one point lead, a lead which would have been their first of the game. If Brandon Pettigrew wouldn't have dropped those passes. If Charles Woodson would have been called for pass interference. If Shaun Hill scrambles for six instead of throwing the ball away. If we didn't take 673 penalties for 12 billion yards. If we weren't the Detroit Lions. If if if if if.

The agony of waking up and realizing that fate is an option, a choice, and not a grim and inviolable sentence handed down from above, only to be fatally shot a moment later is a unique and horrible one. It is an agony that is so acute that it exists in only a short, mournful breath, a breath in which hope and fear and panic and pride and dread and glory and heaven and hell all exist at the same time. It is there and in that moment you feel all of these things and it tears you apart because you feel the space in between, you know what it's like to live in a world where all things are possible and where life and death are only a razor blade apart, and it hurts so much to know that you are a part of that world and that you could have had it all but instead all you got was a bullet to the gut and the death that you had told yourself would be your fate all along. It could have been different, but it wasn't.

And really, that's what this all comes down to: it could have been different, but it wasn't. Sure, sure, there are a million different things you can complain about, a million different reasons, a million different moments that you will play back in your head and wonder what if, and we'll beat these things to death this week, but for now, all we have is that desolate and terrible and yet beautiful knowledge that we could have lived all along, we just didn't know it. There is freedom in the certainty of death and there is fear and confusion in the chaos of possibility. I don't know how I feel. I don't know. I just know that things could have been different, but they weren't. That crushes me and yet fills me with hope. It makes me cry and weep and scream at the sun and yet it makes me believe in tomorrow. The Detroit Lions lost to the Green Bay Packers 28-26 and we died just like we expected to, but we also lived, and for a moment, fate was just a word and the world was opened up in front of us and all we had to do was run, run, run . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was quite elegant.
And I really wanted to bitch about that non-call on the Woodson raping of CJ, now it just doesn't seem to matter much.

In the end it's another loss, much the in the same vein of the 1st and 2nd games of the year. They played just bad enough to beat themselves. There could have been a hundred different moments in that game that they could have done just this much better that would have turned the tide, but those moments never came.

Hope is a cruel temptress. Our offense is at once, very dynamic but still unable to keep from putting themselves into unwinable situations. The defensive line, and for the most part the linebackers are quite stout, but the secondary is such a liability that short of a sack or a run stop, the D is going to give up a dizzying amount of points.

I guess it's really no suprise though. I mean we all knew that this was how this season was was going to go, but to see THIS team in action, fall just oh so short time and time again, makes the losses hurt somehow more.

Where's Al Davis when you need him. Just win, baby.

JP

P.S. I signed up for an account, but cant seem to log in right now. Maybe next time

Neil said...

Thanks, JP.

Trust me, I'll probably be bitching and moaning plenty this week and the non-call on Woodson will definitely come in for some bitchery at some point.

Anyway, I can't wait to get Stafford back. For as much as this one hurt, it kinda made me feel a little better about the progress of the offense and made me think that we can still jump up and surprise somebody this season still.

Losing sucks, and losing this way is absolutely brutal. The what-ifs are going to be torturous this week, but what the hell, at least we can see a pathway to victory now.

I think that's what makes it hurt more. We can see it and we can almost touch it, and then . . . no.

UpHere said...

If nothing else, you have the only blog on the planet with commentors using phrases like "cruel temptress". Although no one today is topping Raven Mack's "serial rapistry".

Lions seemed to have a reasonable day today, but I have the feeling that if they had scored a TD instead of a FG to take the lead, Rogers would have knifed through the D to beat us anyway.

Pettigrew's been great even with drops, hopefully Stafford's learning something about using him better, ie not throwing 6 yard passes to him at 450mph.

Whiouxsie said...

"I think that's what makes it hurt more. We can see it and we can almost touch it, and then . . . no."

We are rowing the same canoe, my friend. It is, of course, the canoe from an Elmer Fudd cartoon where no sooner do you desperately use your finger to plug the first leak than a second one immediately bursts, and as soon as you plug another digit in to that one than a third leak start, and...

yeah.

Neil said...

"Lions seemed to have a reasonable day today, but I have the feeling that if they had scored a TD instead of a FG to take the lead, Rogers would have knifed through the D to beat us anyway."

Yeah, this is kinda what I was thinking too. But still. BUT STILL.

Neil said...

Also, Whiouxsie, my canoe was stolen by a gang of drunk vampire apes. I was then beaten and thrown into the river, but they left me with my paddle so there is that, I suppose. What a gang of vampire apes would need with a canoe is beyond me, but then again they were drunk and we do live in strange and terrible times and I suppose these things do happen. Still, though. STILL.

CJ said...

Ugh, I was so, so CERTAIN we were going to win this game...

This is a great sentence: "The agony of waking up and realizing that fate is an option, a choice, and not a grim and inviolable sentence handed down from above, only to be fatally shot a moment later is a unique and horrible one. " That's the unique pain of the Lions fan certainly, but this season, it's kind of turning into the a sort of triumph too. All they can do is do their best, (which is not the bend don't break, checkdown monster we've seen this year and frankly, so many others) but rise up and just be tough and oh so awesome. It's there in flashes.

The mistakes don't bother me that much (although I know they seem to bother everyone else, and I'm probably an idiot).

I haven't slept in like 30 hours and I was on an airplane for a bunch of those...but hell, today, I'm kind of in love with the theatre that is Lions football, and as always, your writing as well.

Neil said...

Yeah, the moments when they just rise above it all and say fuck it and just play their asses off make me so happy and proud this season. Underneath all the bitching and the hand wringing, they're there and we can't ignore that.

And, as always, CJ, thanks for the kind words and get some sleep :)