Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Well fuck...


So Joe Gibbs re-retired today, and five weeks ago I wouldn't have been surprised, nor upset. But today I am, not because I think he's still the super-genius who has caught up with today's game, but because fuck, he had one year left on a five-year contract. The team forged a bond rarely seen in free agency era at the end of the season, but it's also an old ass team with few young stars waiting to fill the gaps. It would've been nice to see him come back next year and make that last ride and see what they could get done before the wheels come off this thing.
This leaves the team in all sorts of turmoil though, potentially, because Gregg Williams has a million dollar buyout thing in his contract if he is not the next head coach. I kinda feel like he should be, to do the whole ride it out thing I mention above, even though I feel like that'll be a tragic route to take, but if you don't hire him, I can only assume he'll go somewhere else. That means not only do you lose your head coach, but the defense - easily the strong point of this team right now - is turned over as well. Williams does well with less in his defensive schemes, and I don't really wanna see someone else come in and do less with less, especially when offensive genius #2034 Al Saunders seems unable to go, "Hey, this Jason Campbell kid is mobile as fuck. Maybe I should, like, change a play or two in my 700 page playbook to allow him to utilize his strengths."
Also, the much-beloved Clinton Portis was always a Gibbs favorite, but his contract is just waiting to explode all over the salary cap, because one thing has been consistent under Snyder's reign - there is no such thing as someone who figures up the salary cap beyond next summer. This makes Portis potentially a victim of salary cap bullshit. Which is further reason I wish ol' Joe could've come back for one last ride, even if it went badly, just to ride out what he's done here this second time through.
Fuck. I will refrain from going into my Another-15-Years-of-Suffering rant right now and save that for whatever nonsense at head coach Dan Snyder does instead of the sensible thing in promoting Gregg Williams for now, when I do my season-end wrap-up for the stupid Redskins. I know Dan Snyder and I am sure he has Bill Cowher and a blank check floating around in the back of his little beady eyes right now, but also knowing Dan Snyder, he might fucking splice the DNA of Vince Lombardi into a computer program and let that run the team, using scientologist technology borrowed through his pal Tom Cruise. Again, I say fuck.

No comments: